
OK........
Have any of you heard of a new act called the CPSIA (Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act)
In theory it is great thing. They are more tightly regulating things being sold in the USA. They are the ones that will make it so no more lead tainted toys from China will be sold! Great right?
Well in keeping with the new laws that they are putting in to effect, no products ( clothing, toys, furniture..etc) intended for use in children under twelve will be allowed to be sold without testing for lead and other toxins. This is fine and dandy for new products.
But as of February 10th, you will not be able to purchase USED or HOMEMADE children's items that have not been tested. Yep, that right no more hand-me downs. It will be a FELONY, with jail time and fines up to 100,000 dollars if you resell any children's items at garage sales, on eBay, on craiglist, even consignment shops and thrift stores will not be able to sell children's items. UNLESS they have gone through rigorous testing first. Well, that costs a lot of money, and small business and non-profit stores can not afford it. So used children's things will be ending up in the landfill. Not to mention all the parents who will no longer be able to find affordable clothing and gear for their kids!!!
I don't know about you, but frankly I think that SUCKS!!!!
Please go to this website, and sign a petition to send to your congress men and Representatives
http://tinyurl.com/76psom"
SAVE THE HAND ME DOWNS !!!!!

3 comments:
Okay I am so pissed! I can't believe this is happening. I can't believe the tree hugging dips out there aren't up in arms about all the baby stuff going into the landfills. And I can't believe I hadn't heard about it. I hope that we can change this. There is no way we can afford to buy everything new.
I have been hearing bits and pieces about this! Sounds like I need to go do some investigating! Thanks for bringing it back to my attention!!!
I got on the US government site to research this question and it is clear the act applies to manufacturers only and requires testing and permanent labels (think "don't remove this label under penalty of law”) It only applies to articles manufactured after Aug 09 and will only “prohibit the sale” of those articles that have had the labels removed.
This isn’t going to put “bishops attic” out of business.
Post a Comment