Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Life ...


Last night Allen and I reached into our game closet and pulled out a game we had not played in a while. LIFE. It is really a fun game, it brings back tons of memories of my childhood. My two older brothers loved to play board games and sometimes my sister Megan would join in too.
I remember being so excited about picking a career and buying a house. Whenever I landed on a "child" space, I would lovingly pick out a little pink or blue peg and nestle it safely into my car. It was great fun. Being a grown up was a piece of cake!

I thought about this as Allen and I raced through the game of life trying to beat each other to the finish line. First of all, real life is never that easy. Sure in the game there are pitfalls along the way,
pay taxes, got a cold..lose turn, house flooded..pay 5,000, but nothing that really makes you think. What about, lose job..spend four months on unemployment, spouse injured or chroncally ill, depressed....lose a year of great oppurtunities.
But it also dosen't take into account all the really great things, babies first smile.. feel your heart swell a hundred times, the first winter snow, fourth of july bbq with family and friends.
How do you put a number value on all the horrible or wonderful things that happen to you through the years of your life? I don't think it is possible.
But what is possible is to keep your eye on the finish line, to know that everyone can be a winner in the end.
So to sum up my ramblings, Allen and I had a fun night playing games. But I sure am glad that in real life we are on the same team.

1 comment:

Amy said...

How true is that? Really. I haven't played Life in a hundred years. That would be a really fun gift for Christmas. I think the boys would love it.

You know, life is the hardest most wonderful journey of all.

Love you.