Monday, April 8, 2013

Simplify

My name is Elizabeth and I am addicted to stuff. I am sure that for many of you this does not come as a surprise. But for those of you that have never been to my home, welcome to my dirty little secret. Allen and I both have a bit of a shopping problem.We shop when we are happy, we shop when we are sad, there is always a good reason to go shopping. Thrift stores are our favorite place and we have found some amazing things. We really never buy junk. But we buy things that we don't need. 
We have been working for a while on organizing and downsizing our belongings, especially since we will be moving into a smaller apartment in August. But it seems like no matter how much I get rid of, there is always more. The following pictures are of our spare bedroom that is currently being used as a toy/storage room. As you can see it is a little out of control.


These shelves are overflowing with multiple things, the bottom four shelves, plus one more are Miles' toys. the rest is most of our fabric stash, tools, craft supplies and games. And as you can tell, there is very little organization to any of it.
These are our two bookshelves. Believe it or not, about four months ago we got rid of two big boxes of books and put one more box of more sentimental books into storage. It looks like it is time to purge again. Books are the hardest things for me to part with.

Here is Miles' bookcase plus more toys. ( can you tell that our little boy spoiled ?)

These are most of our VHS movies. We already purged a ton of these too. Mostly all we have left are our favorite Disney movies. We have a VHS to digital converter and are planning on putting all these movies on a hard drive.
So there you have it. Part of me can't believe I actually posted these pictures. But I need some accountability. I am wanting to get rid of at least thirty percent of the crap in my house. I am planning on posting more before pictures of other rooms, and then  hopefully awesome after pictures!

No comments: