Friday, April 27, 2012

Crazy Wanna Be Derby Darlin

So several weeks ago I saw a facebook post about a new roller derby league in Utah Valley. I was intrigued. I started reading and watching everything I could get my hands on about roller derby.  It looked crazy, and dangerous and for some reason really fun. I contacted the league and asked when the next try outs were. I decided that this was something that I wanted, no NEEDED, to do. So I dug out my  roller skates and helmet and shelled out the money for protective gear. Tryouts were kind of crazy. I actually ended up leaving early because I was having a asthma attack and forgot my inhaler ( not so smart). Then Thursday rolled around and it was time for the second practice. I almost cried thinking about going back. I was sore and tired, I did not feel up to the task. But I pulled on my big girl panties and went. And it was great. Yea, it was hard. Really hard. Saying I am out of shape is a bit of an understatement, so just skating around the track is hard, then add in falls, stops, and cross overs. I was sweating like a pig, but was having a ton of fun. I fell, a lot. But everytime I got back up. Which is the point right? One time when I feel I hit my butt on the wheels of my skate. Today I have a gnarly bruise on my butt in the shape of a wheel. And every muscle in my body hurts, even muscles I didn't know I have. But I think I'm in love.

1 comment:

Dolly said...

Great post...hope to see pictures soon! Love the pulled up my big girl panties part. You're a champ already-Keep going.