“ ‘We have a family home evening program once a week [Monday night] across the Church in which parents sit down with their children. They study the scriptures. They talk about family problems. They plan family activities and things of that kind. I don’t hesitate to say if every family in the world practiced that one thing, you’d see a very great difference in the solidarity of the families of the world’ (interview, Boston Globe, 14 Aug. 2000).”
-President Hinckley
Family Home Evening is something that Allen and I have not been very good at doing in the three years we have been married. It is hit and miss. Now that we have Miles it is even more important to establish this habit, but in many ways having a nine month old makes it even harder. I mean really, what kind of FHE do you have with an infant? If any one has any bright ideas please share.
But we are trying, even if it is just spending more quality time together. Too often our evening consist of watching Hulu and banging away on a perspective laptops.
Currently I have school on Monday nights so we have designated Tuesday as Family night. Tonight started with a delish dinner, ( if I do say so myself). We refer to it simply as "Chicken dip" There might be other variations of this recipie out there but I made this one up my self.
Chicken Dip
3-4 frozen Chicken breasts
16 oz Salsa
1 can cheeder cheese soup
1 can nacho cheese soup
Put chicken in crockpot and cover with salsa Cook for 3-4 hrs on high or 6-7 hrs on low. Finely shred chicken with two forks and add both cans of soup, stir. Heat on high additional 30 min.
This is very versitile, I have used it as taco/ burrito filling, as a nacho topping or our favorite way, as a dip with tortilla chips Yum Yum Yum
Quick and Easy, no brainer meal.
Dinner was followed by a quick pick up of the house. (It goes so quickly when we co-operate!)
Then bowling, tennis, baseball , boxing and fishing! All from the comfort of our living room. (Yay for Wii Sports) Needless to say Allen kicked my butt, in everything except bowling (yay me!)
Then a suprise visit from our home teachers ( well that takes care of the spiritual thought) Then it was story time and off to bed for baby. A quick run to the supermarket = yummy dessert and all in all a pretty succsesful family night.
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Sounds fun! Hey! You've got TJEd on your bookshelf... are you reading it? What do you think? I'm curious.
I am reading it. It has some great principles. Still not sure if I am going to home school or not. But he does talk about in there about having a TJEd home even if you are public/private schooling. I really like that idea. Allen and I have been discussing our need to read "from the best books" obviously that is not just a TJEd concept. And we have also decided that starting to hold a an FEC would be a benifitial habit to start(goes along with the idea of FHE) anyway... yea, still reading, thinking and praying.
I agree. You can use the principles of great teaching and the lessons from each of the phases regardless of where your child goes to school.
None of the principles are original. I guess that's the whole point. It's simply a compilation of ideas that speak truth.
Good luck on your journey as your family makes decisions best for you!
Post a Comment